Tuesday, December 17, 2013

McDK It-Words

Some of you know that there are 3 guiding words for our wedding planning:  growthjoy and majesty.  This came about when Aaron, a brotha from another motha but the same Father, was asking us to give him 3 inspiration words to help him design our "logo" which we will use for our wedding imagery.  Read on for deets on how these and a couple other words got conceived!

GROWTH.  When we were discerning a theme for the wedding, God didn't show us colours like those on peacock feathers or a certain style like rustic boho glam.  Instead, He gave us the word, "growth." "Growth" appropriately speaks to our past, present, and our future.  DK and I grew up together and knew each other as children, as adolescents and now as adults.  It is also something we notice that is happening lately, as God cultivates our spiritual lives through his Spirit's work in our church community.  It's also something we get to do together as a married couple--grow old together, and grow stuff too, like kids, and/or other fruit.  We have been seeking resources on what a Biblical marriage looks like, and we agree with all of the textbook answers, including the purpose to be fruitful and multiply.

While "growth" would be an inspiration word for our wedding/marriage and relationships with our friends and family, we still wanted to search for an image or motif, something that could be used in our wedding stationery.  I browsed thousands of designs in various wedding invitation printing websites.  I saw all sorts of florals, geometric shapes, damask designs, filigrees, monograms, circus-y things, elegant script, birds, birdcages, tandem bicycles, trees...  The choices are endless and they're all really nice-looking! The main concern was how to make this wedding unique and also glorifying to God, using a recurring image to appear in invitations, programs, slideshows, and maybe even the event decorators.  We and our two prayer partners Renee and Kevin prayed about this in our first McDK prayer meeting.  Later on, since Darryn and I liked trees, I google searched "trees: in the Bible.  Is there a particular tree that God favours?  Do people compare God to a tree?  Does God liken himself to a tree?  Nothing much within the context of marriage or community solid came up.  But then I read John 15:1-17 when Jesus says (the bold is my own emphasis on the parts that jumped out at me when I read it)...
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.  He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.  This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.  My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.  You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. This is my command: Love each other..."  

VINE.  Apparently, vine imagery is starting to become a thing in bridal fashion.  I've seen intricate vine beadwork done in the latest Pronovias gowns.  But it's not because vines are so haute right now!  We knew we wanted the image/motif to be something nature-inspired and organic, something that grows, like a tree. When we came across this passage where Jesus metaphorically describes himself as the vine from which all other branches (that's us, his people) spring from, and how the Father is the gardener, we got excited because it is exactly what we were looking for!  First, our something nature piece was fulfilled:  VINES.  Second, it metaphorically yet explicitly states who Jesus is, who the Father is and who we are in relation to one another as disciples.  Third, because marriage is concerned with bearing fruit, Jesus talks about how to do that and to and bring glory to God.  Fourth, how can you not have a Bible passage central to your marriage without it talking about love?  It contains the greatest commandment of all, to love one another.  And what sealed the deal for me was that, fifth, I actually used verse 13 from above for my testimony to share in our STM to India last July.  Before this, I did not realize that it is in the same context as the vines passage (blonde moment)!  Oh, one more thing.  Lastly, it talks about JOY, which is something we also hope to share with our guests during the wedding.

"This is to my Father's glory..." (verse 8):  MAJESTY.  We are passionate about exalting God's name on our wedding day.  One thing that doesn't sit well with me is when I am told that it's my wedding and I can do whatever I want.  Yes, I agree that it is a chance to call the shots on many things, but, first of all, it's not my wedding; my name is not Narcissus and I am not marrying myself to myself.  It's our wedding, Darryn and I.  Second and greatest of all, it's not actually about us; it really really is God's wedding, amen?  Amen!!!  It is God who brought us together and God who will keep us together.  It's His unconditional love for and faithfulness to us, not our fallible faith and love for each other, that has carried DK and I through.  Like it is written in Psalm 126:3, "The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy."

JOY (verses 10-11).  Some people just want to be happy.   Happiness is a common goal in life.  But wouldn't it be great to be at a very awesome place that doesn't depend upon our present circumstance and emotions?  Even though I want it to be, wedding planning is not all butterflies, flowers, glitter and flouncy things.  Despite the unforeseen trials and stresses that wedding planning is bringing, we hold on to the hope and press on forward with gladness knowing that God is our help.  Joy is one of the fruit of the Father's Spirit and one which we are excited to share with guests at our wedding (and those whom we encounter in our marriage), for "every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights..." (James 1:17).

One more it-word:  COMMUNITY.  It's not one of the 3 inspiration words but that's because it's important anyway.  It's like how in Balinese there's no direct translation for the English word, "art" because it's just part of everyday life (read that somewhere, maybe a Lonely Planet tourist guide book).  It need not be said because it's obvious!  Why are we having the kind of wedding we are having with the 200+ people?  Because we want to be surrounded by a body of Christ who have grown us (our family) and continue to grow us (our church and its strive for discipleship).  Brothers and sisters, we want to worship our Heavenly Father with you on July 19, 2014.  Come!  Watch out for glimpses of growth, majesty and joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment